Monday, October 17, 2011

Epiphany

Today is a monumental day for me. Just 5 weeks ago I started the C25K program. The first day is just 60 seconds run, 90 seconds walk for 8 reps. I was only able to complete 4. But I got back out there and tried again. And I have continued to do that all the way through this program. The day I was most dreading was week 5 day 3. It's a 5 minute warm up walk, a 20 minute run and a 5 minute cool down walk. I didn't think it was possible. Even last week when I did week 5 day 2 (two 8 minute runs with a 5 minute walk in between) I struggled and didn't think I was ready for the 20 minute run. Well let me just tell you that I was wrong. I should not have sold myself short. Today I ran 20 minutes. No walking. No stopping. I had turned the app off on my phone because I didn't want to tell myself that I was going to do that. I had the jog tracker app on and it told me every 2 minutes how long I'd run. I walked for the first 4 minutes and then started to run (well it's very slow so I'm not sure you can call it that!). Every two minutes I told myself good job and I kept on. Once I had done 8 minutes I decided to go for 10. Once I hit 10 I decided to push myself to 12. Once I did 12 I decided to go to 14 and so on. Truth be told I could have actually run more than 20. I felt pretty good. I felt strong. I concentrated on my breathing and kept my pace slow. I could care less how fast I do it. I just am proud that I can do it. This is what I needed to keep going. Now I know that it's possible. And at this weight!!! Honestly if I can do this anyone can. I am still 80ish pounds overweight and I just ran 20 minutes. Next month is the 5K and I am feeling so good about that now! I'm going to be able to run the whole thing!!

No comments: